Licensing and Fingerprint Unit
Records Officers are cross-trained in a variety of speciality areas. Licensing functions are provided through the Sheriff's integrated Central Reception / Records Unit main office staff.
We help customers on a first-come, first-serve basis. For your convenience, vist when you have sufficient time to wait in the event there are others already checked in for services. It is possible that we may stop offering walk in services prior to 5 pm, depending upon the number of people checked in. Please keep this in mind when planning a time to come to the office for services. As a reminder, CHL services are now by appointment only, please visit the CHL webpage listed below for the link to make the appointment.
Licensing work includes:
There are currently 19,670 CHL holders in Lane County.
- Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL) application and processing
- Special weapon / firearm applications (firearms dealers, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms registrations)
- Lane County Sheriff's Office official identification
- Fingerprinting for government applications (employment and various registrations)
- Sex Offender registration
Mandated licensing services are funded through fees, set by statute or the Lane County fee committee. These fees help pay for the expense of operation. These cross-trained employees work in coordination with other Records Officers to provide the public access and reception services for customers visiting the Sheriff's Main Office at the Lane County Courthouse. Goals and objectives for the unit are included in the Police Records Unit information.
- Provide prompt, courteous and professional service to both our internal and external customers.
- Apply better technology when cost feasible.