Contact Us
541-682-6900 
 
Lane County Covered Bridge Coins 

JULY 2012: COIN SERIES ON HOLD INDEFINITELY.
Due to ongoing economic challenges, this fundraiser project (which was designed to raise funds for the three out-of-service covered bridges) has been placed on hold indefinitely.  It is our desire to finish out the series, should this situation change in the future.  With the project not having enough support to pay for itself, we are not in a position to continue buying and producing this product.


Did you know that Lane County was the first County in Oregon to build covered bridges on a large scale?  And, that we still have more covered bridges than any other county west of the Mississippi River?  It's true.

Lane County owns 17 covered bridges throughout the County, 14 of which are open to traffic.  Three covered bridges - Lowell, Currin, and Stewart - are closed to vehicular traffic and, because they are ineligible for Road Funds, are falling into disrepair.  The Parks Division has committed to long-term maintenance for these three bridges, but funding is limited.

To see our brochure that showcases all of our covered bridges, click the link below.


Lane County's Covered Bridge Brochure

To celebrate Lane County's covered bridge heritage - and to help maintain out-of-service bridges - the Public Works Department introduced a series of seventeen covered bridge commemorative coins. The series began in the fall of 2005 followed by an average of two new releases per year until it was placed on hold indefinitely as of July 2012.

SILVER & PRICING: In addition to general production costs, the retail price of each silver coin in the series is influenced by the cost of silver.

 
The Covered Bridge Commemorative Coin Series Releases

Auctions are the only way to purchase numbered coins.  If you want to be on our list to receive information about future coin release events, send an email to pwadmin@co.lane.or.us indicating name, mailing address and email address.

 

   Wildcat Creek Bridge Coin

12th Release - NEW RELEASE - November 19, 2011, in Veneta, Oregon. A total of 325 Wildcat Creek Covered Bridge Commemorative Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. Unnumbered coins are sold out and no more will be minted.

Saturday, November 19, 9:00am-1:00pm:  150 unnumbered coins will be available for purchase at the Annual Holiday Bazaar located in the West Lane Shopping Center in Veneta. The coin booth will be located in the former Hollywood Video space. Unnumbered coins are $47 each with a limit of 5 coins per person.

AUCTION of Numbered coins will take place at 11:00am.

Monday, November 21, at 8:00am PST, the remaining unnumbered coins will be available for $47 each (limit 5): through this website; with a credit card over the phone at 541-682-6913 or 1-800-826-8978; or in person at the Lane County Public Works office, 3040 N. Delta Hwy., Eugene. Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm, M-F, except holidays. Orders that require mailing will be charged $4 per coin for S&H. Mail orders received prior to release will be processed on Nov. 21.

When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Wildcat Creek Covered Bridge (aka Austa Bridge) spans Wildcat Creek in a very picturesque setting near the Siuslaw River. Constructed in 1925 and restored in 1990, a sidewall opening allows motorists to see oncoming cross-traffic. The timber through Howe truss designed bridge spans 75' and is open to traffic. It is located just off State Highway 126 on Austa Road near Mapleton.


 

 

 Deadwood Bridge Coin

11th Release - Released November 20, 2010, in Veneta, Oregon. A total of 325 Deadwood Covered Bridge Commemorative Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. Unnumbered coins are sold out and no more will be minted.

Numbered coins are only available through individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete in 2013, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Deadwood Covered Bridge is located five miles north of State Highway 36, just off Deadwood Creek Road on Deadwood Loop.  The bridge is closed to oversized trucks.  Bridge construction took place in 1932 with restoration in 1986.  The bridge is a Howe Truss design spanning 105 feet.  Architectural detail is considerable in this structure, including false end beams, semi-elliptical portal arches with trim and a large visibility opening along one side.  The setting on Deadwood Creek is a photographer's delight.

Stewart Bridge Coin

Tenth Release - Released August 14, 2010, in Cottage Grove, Oregon. A total of 325 Stewart Covered Bridge Commemorative Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. Unnumbered coins are sold out and no more will be minted.

Numbered coins are only available through individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Stewart Covered Bridge is located on Garoutte Road, which is off of Mosby Creek Road near Cottage Grove. This covered bridge crosses over Mosby Creek with a 60 foot span. Constructed in 1930 and restored in 1996, the design is a Howe truss. Stewart Covered Bridge serves pedestrian and bicycle traffic only.



            Coyote Creek Bridge Coin

Ninth Release - Released November 21, 2009, in Veneta, Oregon.  A total of 400 Coyote Creek Bridge coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In July 2010, Lane County chose to melt down 29 of the remaining unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.
 
Numbered coins are only available through individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Coyote Creek Covered Bridge (also known as Battle Creek Bridge or Swing Log Bridge) is located on Battle Creek Road just off Territorial Highway south of Veneta. The bridge crosses Coyote Creek and is located on the original Territorial Highway built in 1851, which was the first road through Lane County. Constructed in 1922, the bridge design is timber through Howe truss with a span of 60 feet. It is closed to over-sized trucks.

 

 

                   Pengra Bridge Coin

Eighth Release - Released July 25, 2009, in Lowell, Oregon. A total of 425 Pengra Bridge coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In July 2010, Lane County chose to melt down 15 of the remaining unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 2 of 25 numbered coins (#8, #9) remain available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at a coin release event. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Pengra Covered Bridge, open to traffic, crosses Fall Creek on Place Road, just off Jasper-Lowell Road. Constructed in 1938 and restored in 1994, the design is a timber through Howe truss. It is named for B.J. Pengra, an early Surveyor General of Oregon. This bridge has the two longest bridge timbers ever cut in Oregon. Measuring 16"x18"x126' the timbers were rough-hewn in the woods and then finished on site. This bridge location is a photographer's delight.



 

                   Belknap Bridge Coin

Seventh Release - Released Dec. 6, 2008, in Walterville, Oregon. A total of 475 Belknap Bridge coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In July 2010, Lane County chose to melt down 35 of the remaining unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 2 of 25 numbered coins (#13, #20) remain available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Belknap Covered Bridge construction took place in 1966 and restoration in 1990. Spanning 120 feet, this bridge crosses the McKenzie River. The design is timber through Howe truss and it is open to traffic. Located on King Road West, off McKenzie River Drive, this is the fourth covered bridge built in this location. The bridge received its name after R.S. Belknap who built Belknap Springs Resort nearby.



 

 

            Mosby Creek Bridge Coin

Sixth Release - Released July 19, 2008, in Cottage Grove, Oregon. A total of 475 Mosby Creek Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In July 2010, Lane County chose to melt down 11 of the remaining unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 1 of 25 numbered coins (#7) remains available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Mosby Creek Covered Bridge boasts one of the most picturesque covered bridge settings in the County. Located east of Cottage Grove on Layng Road, it crosses Mosby Creek and is open to traffic. Constructed in 1920 and restored in 1990, the bridge is typical of most of the smaller covered bridges in Lane County. The design is timber through Howe truss with a span of 90 feet. Named after pioneer David Mosby, this bridge is Lane County's oldest covered bridge.



 

 

                     Currin Bridge Coin

Fifth Release - Released October 6, 2007
, in Cottage Grove, Oregon. A total of 525 Currin Bridge Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In April 2008, Lane County chose to melt down 105 of the remaining 124 unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 1 of 25 numbered coins (#13) remains
available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Currin Covered Bridge is located near Cottage Grove, Oregon, on Layng Road, 1.5 miles from Row River Road. It is closed to traffic. Constructed in 1935 and restored in 1995, this bridge is named after a pioneer family in the area and replaced an ealier covered bridge built in 1883. Currin Bridge is the only covered bridge in Lane County with white portals and red sides.




 



 

                    Ernest Bridge Coin

Fourth Release - Released July 28, 2007, in Marcola, Oregon. A total of 525 Earnest Bridge Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. In April 2008, Lane County chose to melt down 65 of the remaining unsold, unnumbered pieces. Unnumbered coins have since sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 1 of 25 numbered coins (#13) remains available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Earnest Covered Bridge is located in Marcola, Oregon, at the intersection of Marcola Road and Paschelke Road. It is open to traffic. Constructed in 1938, this bridge utilizes a Howe Truss design that spans 75 feet over the Mohawk River. The second bridge at this location, this bridge appeared in the 1964 movie "Shenandoah" where it was altered to be a Civil War prop and then restored back to its original condition after the production.




 

 

                     Office Bridge Coin

Third Release - Released December 2, 2006
, in Westfir, Oregon. A total of 525 Office Bridge Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered. Unnumbered coins have sold out and no more will be minted.

Only 1 of 25 numbered coins (#13) remains available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets #23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Office Covered Bridge is located in Westfir, Oregon. The painting (below) depicts a historic rendition of the original bridge from the early 1940's showing the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River dammed to create a log pond at the old Western Lumber Company site. A covered walkway along one side of this bridge gives it a unique look and safe passage for pedestrians. At 180 feet, Office Covered Bridge is the longest covered bridge in Oregon. Built in 1944, it replaced the original 1941 bridge that was washed away in a flood.



 

 

                    Lowell Bridge Coin

Second Release - Released July 29, 2006
, in Lowell, Oregon. A total of 600 Lowell Bridge Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered.  Unnumbered coins have sold out and no more will be minted. 

Only 1 of 25 numbered coins (#22) remains available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction. 

Lowell Covered Bridge is located in Lowell, Oregon.  The painting (below) depicts a historic rendition of the original bridge from the early 1940's - before the bridge was raised 6 feet in 1953, before Dexter Dam was completed and the reservoir filled for the first time.  At 24 ft. wide, Lowell Covered Bridge is the widest covered bridge in the County.  The span is 165 feet with a timber through Howe truss design.  The bridge is closed to traffic and, in June 2006, a new interpretive tourist information center was opened inside the bridge with fishing and picnic facilities around the bridge site.




 

 

             Goodpasture Bridge Coin

First Release - Released November 18, 200
, in Walterville, Oregon. A total of 500 Goodpasture Bridge Coins were minted, with the first 25 numbered.  Unnumbered coins have sold out and no more will be minted. 

Only 1of 25 numbered coins (#22) remains available for individual auction. Auctions only take place at coin release events. When the series is complete, Lane County Parks will make 3 complete numbered sets (#23, #24, #25) available through auction.

Goodpasture Covered Bridge is located near Vida, Oregon. Constructed in 1938 using a Housed Howe Truss design, the bridge spans 165 feet and is named after a pioneer family homestead.  This is Lane County's most visible and probably most photographed covered bridge.  The outstanding architectural details include 10 gothic, louvered windows on each side, false end beams, and semi-elliptical portal arches.  This is the second longest covered bridge in the State.



 

 

 


Further details to come.

If you want to be on our list to receive information on possible continuation of this project in the future, send an email to
pwadmin@co.lane.or.us indicating name, mailing address and email address.